Sunday, January 30, 2011

Thing Four - Student Blogging

Criteria
Unacceptable
Acceptable
Target
Blog Posts by Students


  • Blog post not done or entry does not relate to topic
  • Blog post simple and on topic
  • Does not include resources or links
  • Blog post thoughtful and on topic
  • Includes links and/or sources used
Comments or Responses that students leave on other student blogs
  • Comments not written or do not address the  topic of the blog
  • Comments address the topic but do not make the blogger rethink his or her own post
  • Comments address topic and lead to further postings on blog  by author or others.


I created as simple of a blog as I could for 1st grade and would expand on it as their use of blogs improves. I read through many sites to help, most were for higher grades but gave me ideas of how to start. One of the best starting points for me came from looking at Meg's Blogagogy
Meg's page referenced a list of Do's and Don'ts from Susan Hyde Suite 101 - Grading with Assessment Rubrics
When I expand it, I think it should look something like the one found on this page, Blogging Rubric by Clarence Fisher 

A side note, I did find a page that has links for numerous rubrics for just about every subject and grade level. 

4 comments:

  1. Really enjoyed the websites you located. Do's and Don'ts are always helpful. I do like using rubrics that others have constructed and tested. It is a lot easier to just modify to your grade level. Most that I found were for higher grade levels. The one from Kathy's guide is very simple and can easily modified. I am interesting in seeing how 1st graders blog. Looking forward to to your future blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I posted the same link for Kathy Schrock's Guide for Educators. I found it to be really useful site. I loved all the rubrics for Web 2.0 tools.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I looked at Meg's Blogagogy and thought it provided some good info for a jumping off point, as you said. It is interesting to think about 1st graders blogging. Did you happen to see the second grade blog "Duck Diaries"?

    http://duckdiaries.edublogs.org/2006/04/20/2nd-graders-write-about-our-missing-duck/

    I felt like it was a good idea of what we might see as first grade teachers at this point in the school year. It made me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yvonne, Yes I did see this blog and had a similar idea to get my class started. I just wanted to do a class read aloud and get them to say if they liked the book or not and why. I figured that when introducing them to the new technology, I wouldn't give grades but just do a check, yes or no as to whether they responded. Then I would progress from there. I do want them to feel somewhat comfortable with blogging before I give them grades.

    ReplyDelete